Whether through mobile phones, tablets, laptops or desktops, no doubt today we access the Internet from all types of devices. Consequently, we need to create web design with user experience using Bootstrap for the companies that hire us.
Our web design agency, AppDesign, prioritizes proper viewing on mobile devices and high customer conversion to your websites. Remember, Mobile First is the key to achieving a quality design and high user experience.
To achieve a high conversion rate and a high range of user experience, web page designs have to be tailored and the best tool for this is Bootstrap.
Keep reading and learn how to achieve such format adaptability through development of web pages and apps with Bootstrap.
What is bootstrap?
The expression boot strap It is usually literally translated from English as “boot strap” or “shoe tongue”, that is, that generally leather strip that is placed on the back of a shoe and that, pulling it, helps to position the foot inside said shoe or boot.
From this image of "lifting oneself off the ground by pulling on the tongues of their shoes," a certain metaphor of "self-sufficient tool" or, rather in terms of computing, of "set of tools and procedures for an environment to be understood is imaginatively deduced. build yourself ”; from there that also to bootstrap I sometimes translate it into Spanish as "Boot sequence" or "Start sequence".
Of course, there are others frameworks for design responsive, such as Materialize, Foundation or Pure.css, also useful when resizing web elements in such a way that they adapt automatically to the width of each device, thus providing a correct visualization of the same content and a user experience as similar as possible despite the differences of each format.
Custom development with Bootstrap
But Bootstrap, from before its current version 3.3.6 and already close to its version 4, it is a framework designed to program web environments responsive under the concept mobile–first, that is, first of all to design with mobile devices such as cell phones in mind.
This approach is based on the fact that since mobile devices have a much smaller screen and, therefore, a more limited touch use than those of a desktop computer with its mouse and its 17-inch screen, then it is easier program the responsive design of a Web page in this unfavorable situation and then adapt it to the most favorable one, to proceed the other way around.
Originally developed by Mark Otto and Jacbod Thornton from Twitter, Bootstrap It consists of a collection of interactive templates for CSS (“Cascading Style Sheets”) And HTML (“ Hypertext Markup Language ”), design templates with typography, buttons, tables, forms, navigation menus, image carousels and other add-ons that one can use in the developing from his website and mobile app.
Released by Twitter since August 2011, Bootstrap It is open source, so developers are invited to participate in the project by making their own contributions to the platform. It is also available on GitHub, where it is the most popular project since February 2012; being used by NASA and the MSNBC, among other organizations.
Advantages and disadvantages from Bootstrap
- Easy and intuitive to operate: For example, when making web layout with Bootstrap, a user interface, you do not waste time modifying the CSS to make a view with 3, 4 or 5 columns. Also, we can add a clearfix or make structural changes at the client's request that he wishes to see live and direct.
- Ideal for mobile devices: As we said, Bootstrap is a framework primarily optimized to create, using CSS rules, responsive web pages. Responsive web pages, adapt automatically and dynamically to the vast majority of screens and resolutions existing in the mobile market. When they ask us for a responsive design, let's solve it easily with Bootstrap: See some examples created with Bootstrap.
- Twitter maintains and updates: How it was developed as a tool for internal use by Twitter employees, this company decided to share it with the world and ensure its conservation and updating through open source. Is not a framework of development such as Laravel or Codeigniter for complex projects, but most of the heavy work of its programming It is done.
- It is extensible: Being an architecture for software or program that allows you to start another larger program, Bootstrap It gives us the tools and procedures to extend and adapt the framework according to our needs. Therefore, it does not limit at all the designs that one can make.
- Not for beginners: You cannot use it unless you have at least knowledge of programming in CSS and HTML. Otherwise, we run the risk of not only feeling overwhelmed by the amount of things that come upon us at the same time (we talk about a style sheet of about 6000 lines), but we will also adopt bad CSS practices because Bootstrap it is perfect.
But possessing some basic knowledge in HTML and CSS, in a couple of hours we will have our first hopeful results and, once the first project is finished, that feeling that we already take the reins of the horse.
- Too many conventions and nested nodes: To display an alert, it is not necessary to create 3 divs, at least ideally. Well, when you program with Bootstrap We realize that creating such alerts, forms, media objets and other things, it implies to adhere so much to the conventions of framework that we end unnecessarily with a more complex and less semantic DOM.
Web development services with Bootstrap
Even so, our web design agency uses the Web page programming in Bootstrap. Swork all if one does not have time or energy to be debugging the CSS. Like everything framework, Bootstrap provides us with an easy and fast way to implement web designs It ensures that this design works in a wide range of browsers and that its code complies with certain standard standards. Why hesitate to download it?
If you have any questions, you can check with our team of developers with Bootstrap through the quotation form: